Preparation requires checking how your old cabinets are originally finished. In order to have the best and long-lasting results, we advise you to read and follow these tips.
- Verify how your cabinets are finished:
A) Melamine: TSP-E or Colorantic ™ Varnish Cleaner & Remover + wipe with a damp cloth + apply an undercoat (primer).
B) Oil varnish or paint: To test, wipe a section with nail polish remover on a cotton ball. If the colour comes off, it is a water-base (hurray!). Go to Step C.
If the colour does not come off, it is an oil-based paint: TSP-E or Colorantic™ Varnish Cleaner & Remover + wipe with a damp cloth + sand lightly + undercoat (primer).
C) Water-based paint or varnish: TSP-E or Colorantic™ Varnish Cleaner & Remover, sand lightly to remove any luster, if present.
D) If the cabinets have been in contact with smoke (cigarettes or fire), you will need a Shellac (sold in hardware stores)
- Test the front of ONE cabinet door to preview the results or various faux-finish tests.
- Paint 1 to 3 coats, as required. Start with the Colorantic™ microfibre roll and finish with one of the Colorantic™ paint brushes. Pale colors such as white may require more coats, and you may have best results with a primer, especially if the cabinets have knots. Each layer dries in 30 to 60 minutes, and you may paint another coat as soon as your previous coat is dry to the touch.
- Colorantic™ Top Coat (varnish) is recommended as a final protective layer, as this will allow easier cleaning of the cabinet doors. To apply the Top Coat, we suggest to using a foam-gray brush (with a small handle). Do not use the same brush used for painting. Let cure for 7 to 14 days before cleaning.
- If you want an old-fashioned effect, you can apply wax effects, but never put wax under varnish. On top of the varnish, it is possible if you apply the natural wax before the tinted waxes. Wipe excess wax with a clean cloth to allow for faster drying. Waxes take between 1 to 7 days to dry.
- We do not recommend using this application on countertops.
- Admire your results for a fraction of the cost of new cabinets!